siglent.freeforums.org

Support and information for Siglent electronic Test & Measurement equipments. (unofficial)
It is currently Mon, 26 Jun 17, 04:36

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to siglent

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: SPD3303S, some tests.
PostPosted: Thu, 08 Jan 15, 18:25 
Site Admin

But first, what is SPD3303S

There is two models what have TFT display: D and S

SPD3303D

SPD3303S

There is also model what have 7 segment LED display: SPD3303C but I do not hadle it here.

I handle here D and S
Tests and measurements made using S model.

It is functionally same as D model. Only exeption is that S model have 1mV and 1mA resolution in display for settings and also same resolution for readback. D version have resolution 10mV and 10mA with settings and readback.

It have 2x separate 0-30V / 3A outpus (CH1 and CH2) and one output (CH3) with switch selectable output voltage: 2.5/3.3/5V.
CH1 and 2 are both separately fully adjustable between 0 - 30V (32V) V and adjustable current limit from 0 to 3A (3.2A)

Maximum output power is 195W (CH1+CH2+CH3)
All channels are isolated from each others and chassis.
CH1 and CH2 can also set for Serial and Parallel mode. Normal mode is individual.
There is not true |-|0|+| mode. This can of course do externally and drive CH1 and CH2 in individual mode.
(just connect jumper between CH1 + and CH2 - (this is now as 0 termnal) then negative terminal is CH1- and positive terminal CH2 +) with this method both, negative and positive, sides can separately adjust for current limit and voltage. and in this method both displays show just ok exept that CH1 do not display - sign)

There is also Serial mode. In this mode CH1+ and CH2 - is internally connected. But in main stream it looks like this mode is made for 0-60V (64V) single power.

Then, there is also Parallel mode. In this mode CH1 and CH2 are internally connected parallel for 0-30V(32V) 6A (6.4A) single power. Output terminals are now CH1 + and -.

Note: maximum settings for voltages are 32V and for current 3.2A. If both are maximum, total output power is 205W what exeeds maximum total output power even without CH3.

Power supply fan is temperature controlled, so with light load it is very silent. Also wwith full load noise is not bad but of course there is noise becaause there need move lot of air for cooling. Perhaps it is not so common situation that continuously need full maximum power or not even nearly.

Note: Mains power voltage selection is in back side. It NEED without any exeption match with your mains.

This is not primary side switch mode supply what may work with wide voltage range!
This equipment have mains transformer (this is low noise digitally controlled linear power supply)

Settings are 110/120/220/230VAc. When get new unit there is warning sticker over mains connector. In Finland it need set for 230VAc.
If you miss this, wrong selection may lead to permanent damage and in this case there is no warranty. In this case it is user made damage. Of course, every unit what I have checked before shipping to end user I have made right selection (but still: check!). Some people may want untested unopened carton and selection may be wrong.

Data Sheet SPD3303D/S
User Manual SPD3303D/S

to be continue... (after I update FW and do some things agen)
jatkuu... (FW päivityksen jälkeen ja kun teen joitain asioita uusiksi.)

--------------------------------

Whe it arrive FW: 1.01.01.06
HW is version 1.1 (early version where is overshoot problem)
(later going to warranty change)

Update need do using computer with EasyPower software. It need also that computer have National Instruments Ni-Visa 5.1.2 Runtime istalled.

First I try with Win 7 -64. Install Ni-Visa and then EasyPower and connect SPD3303S USB to computer. It looks it find drivers and windows give USB isnatlled ok information.
After launch EasyPower and try regognize power supply whole computer crash to "blue screen"

after several remove and reinstall hassle etc I give hands up.

I take my one other computer where still is Windows XP (SP3) and 32 bit with all latest updates of course.

Install agen first Ni-Visa reboot then EasyPower reboot and connect Power supply to PC. All works just ok. It regognize Power supply and all works ok.
Then select FW update and all goes just as "blond proof".

IMPORTANT NOTE for FW: You need carefully check when you download FW update: If you have S model it need S model FW update and D need D model update. Double check this!

(I will later try agen with Win 7 / 64 and try find why it crash... it have been very reliable condition and it was first time this computer do something like this)

So I install it to one Lenovo T43p with Win XP SP3 and all goes just ok without any problems and using this procedure:

I did not connect SPD3303 yet to computer USB.
1: Install Ni-Visa 5.1.2 Runtime and reboot!
2. Install LATEST EasyPower (this time latest is: ReleaseDate 9/30/2014 2:04:58 PM Version: P09)
3. I recommend to restart agen. (perhaps not nessessary)
4. Connect USB and wait until windows tell USB istalled ok and ready for use.
5. Start EasyPower software. (before FW update use it some amount you know sure it works without problems and for FW upgrade follow SPD3303 User Manual instructions.)

After update FW is: 1.01.01.06R2

CH1 and CH2:

After first tests it is clear that there is not any markable peaks detectable after mains powerup. in CH1/2 outputs.

Independent mode:
Also when turn channel on without load and what ever set voltage (and current set) no overshoot peaks.
Also when short circuit outputs CH1/2 (with all voltage and current settings) and then open short circuit without load (exept oscilloscope input impedance) no overshoot. With short circuit it is of course in CC (constant current) mode with selected current. (I did tests with many different settings)

One note: I hope later I remember check this better. There is soma amount capasitance parallel of output. When do low Z short circuit there is capasitance discharge current to short circuit before it is under CC control. I do not know capasitance value yet. (my quess is between 200 - 400uF. Specially if short start from 32V it give some spark.

After these very trivial tests I did "long time" short circuit run.
Set current limit for 1, 2 and 3A
Both main channels run simultaneously to short with over one hour.
It looks like it is really designed for full load. Only what happend is that Fan run more fast, specially with 2x3.2A (Fan is temperature controlled and sensor is somewhere in output stage wind tunnel heat sink.)

Before more deep and hardcore stress tests and step response tests I want open it and do some temperature measurement inside.

All open circuit otput Voltage's are well inside specifications and it looks like also with loading it stay well inside specifications also after it warms up using hard loading. Also current appears to be well inside specs.
But this is only first impressions without enough accurate and more wide range tests.

Post subject: Re: SPD3303S, some tests
PostPosted: Thu, 15 Jan 15, 07:00 
Site Admin

For better tests I need make enough good resistive load what can control with signal generator on and off.
I will make it with some power N-Mosfet (IRF540) and set of power resistors. So these some tests take more time.

PostPosted: Sun, 18 Jan 15, 18:46 
Site Admin

My dummy load is partially ready and I made other trivial stress test.

Simultaneously and using individual mode CH1 and CH2

CH 1 connected to 10R0 100W dummy load (1)
CH 2 connected to 10R0 100W dummy load (2)

CV mode:
Both channels current limit set value adjusted for 3.2A
Then adjusted CH1 voltage so that P = 97.5W
Then adjusted CH2 voltage so that P = 97.5W
Pout tot = 195W

Voltages are in theory with exactly 10R load around 31.225 but due to small differencies between channels wiring and load resistance I have fine adjusted it so that both channels give out 97.5W so that power supply specified 195Wout tot is used.
In this case both channels run in Constant voltage (CV) mode.

I run this test over 3 hours so that I can be sure it have reach its max temperatures. SPD3303S works perfect without any signs about problems.

CC mode:
Both channels Voltage set level adjusted for maximum 32V.
Then adjusted CH1 current limit so that P = 97.5W
Then adjusted CH2 current limit so that P = 97.5W

Currents are in theory with exactly 10R load around 3.1225 but due to small differencies between channels wiring and load resistance I have fine adjusted limits so that both channels give out 97.5W so that power supply specified 195Wout tot is used.
In this case both channels run in Constant Current (CC) mode.

I run this test over 3 hours so that I can be sure it have reached its max temperatures. SPD3303S works perfect without any signs about thermal problems.

After these load tests I can tell that PSU do not run hot and not even so warm. Fan speeds up of course and air exhausted from bacside is some amount warm but not hot. After 3.5h this load test, exhausted air temperature was 39 Celsius. Fan noise is not bad but of course it is not silent with this load but noise is not bad. If I run HP6632 100W PSU full power it is really much more noisy.

After previous max current short circuit run and after this test it looks that Siglent thermal design is ok for full continuous load. My test room temperature was around 21-23 Celsius (23 when I measure exhaust air temp). My opinion is that there is still well enough reserve in thermal design so that it can run also in 40C temp.

PostPosted: Wed, 21 Jan 15, 08:35 
Site Admin

I have done lot of more short full current (3.2A) short circuit tests. Including together all outputs and with all outputs all combinations and starting voltage max. Also with individual, series and parallel mode.

No any sign about thermal or other problems. Due to limited time for these tests and many combinations I have used 15min, 30min and some test up to 2 hour short.

It need note that this is not 4 quadrant PSU. It can not use for constant voltage or constant current load. It can not sink. It is designed only for source (as normal lab power supplies typically are)

PostPosted: Sat, 02 May 15, 15:54 
Site Admin

Previous tests was made using very early manufacture lot of V1.1 Hardware without mandatory modification.
After I find this situation Siglent also was surprised and later send new version as warranty case. (in early V1.1 version without modification there was serious problem with some overshoots in some usage scenarios.)

From Factory new 2015 made spare board arrived
In all next tests HW version is 1.2. And FW version 1.01.01.06R2.

Now it can see that when turn channel on or recovery from short circuit works without over shoots.

First 3 images.
Every power supply with same settings. 20V and current limit 3A
Load. continuous 1A with 300us 2A load steps. Oscilloscope CH1 show switch control signal from Siglent SDG5082 and load have power mosfet switch (IRF540) and set of selectable power resistors)
Switching period is 2ms. 1A 1.7ms and 0.3ms 2A. It need note that switch turn on and off edges are quite fast (enough for this purpose)

(just note oscilloscope scale. 100mV/div and Voltage is 20VDC (oscilloscope input AC coupled)
Result is good.

This is just for show cheap load regulation. Here can see good quality ordinary linear lab power supply. 0-30A and max 5A. There is lot of cheap and more crap copies about this. This is in this class top quality. Peaks are quite low but load regulation is poor.

This is Agilent 6632B 20V 5V very good quality linear system power supply.

Next three images. Short circuit.

(not copper rod short but short using Power Mosfet switch unit.)
CH1 is switch control signal from Siglent SDG5082
All PSU:s under test have same settings. 20V and 3A. (20V because it is Agilent max and 3A becaause it is Siglent normal max (true max is 3.2A)

Agilent is more fast recover from short. But need to note that new 6632B, 1 channel 20V 5A PSU is totally in different price class.

Next three images: SPD3303S.
Channel output from OFF to ON with different voltages for look if there is any voltage where is gives some peak. (it is good to know that there is 4 internal primary voltage levels before output regulation stages. It is nessessary for reduce power dissipation with different voltages and load currents. So it steps to desired transsformer tap with different output voltages.

No any noticeable or worrying voltage peaks during the run-up ramp. Just smooth turn on.

Jatkuu......

Post subject: Re: SPD3303S, some tests.
PostPosted: Tue, 05 May 15, 16:13 
Site Admin

Post subject: Re: SPD3303S, some tests.
PostPosted: Wed, 06 May 15, 14:12 
Site Admin

Sidenote for PARALLEL mode (not for any other mode)

Parallel mode is for run CH1 and CH2 internally connected parallel for higher than 3.2A loads.
If your load is, including load peaks, under 3.2A please use normal mode.
If you need more current, up to 6.4A including load peaks, use PARALLEL mode.
Connect load to CH1 (master) - and + terminals only.

If your load current in PARALLEL mode is some times under 40mAt:

My unofficial recommendation for very low load currents in PARALLEL mode:

Please connect 1k ohm 1W resistor between + and - output terminals. (32V 1kohm load take 32mA and power dissipation is 1.03W)
It give better stability when parallel connected slave channel try follow master and channels try share current.
This information may change what ever time with other HW / FW versions.